Friday, April 17, 2009

My bad, I didn't realize that Global Warming was subjective!

Seriously! I don't really think that's what the Pew Forum on Religion and Life was getting at when they published this study, but I can't believe that some people think that an issue as crucial as global warming is subjective. That it's something they can form an opinion on and decide whether or not to believe in it. Global warming isn't religion, people! Or some sort of voodoo or fortune telling! It's science. Unfortunately, the basis of science is theory- ie, nothing is ever proven, but is just further supported by an ever growing body of data and interpretations. Which means that scientists are reluctant to ever state something as fact, leaving the door open for all the naysayers to grab that little shadow of a doubt and run with it! I love doing science, but this is really one of the most frustrating things about it. I think the beauty of science lies in the fact that we can never fully prove anything and that there is always more research to be done and new things to be discovering, however some people see that as an open invitation to disregard an entire set of data!



Anyways, on a happier note, I'm off to Atlanta this weekend to visit my dear friend Kate on her birthday! I hope you all have a lovely weekend also!

No comments:

Post a Comment